MassFIRST is a campaign with the mission to ensure that all students in Massachusetts Public Schools have the opportunity to participate in FIRST Robotics.
FIRST means For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology.
FIRST Robotics is an exciting, international team competition that unites professionals and young people to solve an engineering design problem, using robotics in an intense, competitive, and fun way.
Benefits of First include:
- FIRST has been proven to have a significant positive impact on all students, despite gender, race, or income level.
- A majority of students say they have learned about teamwork, gracious professionalism™, science and technology, and have increased motivation excel in school.
- FIRST has a huge impact on on women and minorities, and inspires many of them to pursue STEMcareers.
- Students involved in FIRST are more likely to attend college, and be involved in community service.
Studies about the benefits of FIRST can be found below:
The MassFIRST campaign could be realized with a much smaller price tag with a one-time grant to fund FIRST Lego League and FIRST Lego League Jr. teams. We believe if the program is started, parents and students will be invested in its growth.
- A $70,000 grant would get FLL or FLL Jr. teams in every public school district currently without FIRST at any level ($1,000 grants to 70 districts with additional funds for grant oversight/management via inGenuity NE).
- A $15,000 grant would open the door with 1 FLL Jr. set in the hands of each Massachusetts public school district currently missing out on the FIRST experience.
More information about FIRST can be found on their website www.firstinspires.org